Anyway fast forward almost a decade later, this day never fails to make me think about the purpose of teaching. Whether you like it or not, the A Levels is but a step to university and to an eventual degree. The A Level certificate itself has little value. It is therefore very traumatising for anyone not to do well enough to qualify for university. It's not the end of the world though - I know someone who got a D for A Level Geog and is now a successful academic pursuing a Phd in Geography, winning many accolades and awards along the way. Sadly, such cases are few and far between. Students who don't do well in A levels can do an overseas degree I suppose, provided financing is not a problem. There are a few other options too, but not too many I guess.
The purpose of this reflection is in defining what and how I teach. I used to think that drilling for exams and teaching for the purpose of scoring well was not the best pedagogical philosophy in the profession. Over the past 2 years, I've kind of grown in my admiration for these kind of teachers. One just told me today that it doesn't matter whether students hate or like you, or whether they even appreciate you - our job is to give them the best chance of getting into university and as long as we do that our conscience is clear. Another person told me of what use is holistic development, character development, CCA awards etc when the student doesn't make it into uni let alone a course of choice. Ideally we should stretch all our students, but not everyone can be stretched in so many directions. For those with a limited capacity - what do we prioritise more? Grades? Holistic development? Tough choice.
Because I never had to see a classmate cry during my time - I don't really know how to deal with it today as a teacher. What do you say to the very few who don't make it? Do we then teach for understanding? Or teach to maximise grades? (granted that the good students will be able to achieve both - but how about those slightly behind?) How is the teacher going to face the student or worse, parent of someone who came in with a low O level L1R5 score and doesn't quite fulfil his/her expectations at the A levels?
Teachers who drill and teach for exams often come under criticism. These are the same teachers who make students do extra work, set extra exams, conduct extra make-up lessons - things are students hate. But at the end of the day, especially at the end of today - these are the teachers whom students want to thank the most.
I suppose as a teacher - one is bound to have students who don't perform or have freak results, regardless of effort put in by both the teacher and student. This is the unfortunate part of the job. But for the rest, I guess what's most important is that during this day next year and in the years to come - I will not have any regrets or "what if I had done this instead" moments when I see the kids coming back to await their results.
Makes me think.
What would I want if I were to become a teacher?
After thinking about it, I'm starting to get scared.
No comments:
Post a Comment